Coexist

Coexist

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Get off your butt and supervise your kids.

Come on folks. I know concussions can be serious, but raising helpless children that can't handle life's smallest bumps and bruises is serious too. As much as current hysteria may dictate, you can't bubble wrap your kids and expect them to grow up to be well adjusted adults.

Apparently a CDC study shows concussions on playgrounds to be on the rise and the equipment being blamed is monkey bars, and swings. Don't do the norm of late and form groups demanding the removal of the equipment. Watch your kids. Maybe teach your kids to watch what they are doing around swings. Another idea, maybe the CDC should spend tax money on more important and less obvious ventures. Kids bumping their heads isn't exactly ground breaking research or news. Dealing with it isn't either.

Okay, maybe some design changes on the equipment wouldn't hurt, but it wont replace parenting. I don't have a problem with parents that choose not to let their toddlers run rampant in the neighborhood unsupervised. Quite the opposite. I know there are tons of "I did __ and I survived" memes online. Yes, I was one of those 4 year old kids playing outside unsupervised and I'm alive and well to tell about it at 40. I was also damn lucky. My playing radius at 4 included a busy apartment parking lot and a neighboring construction site.

Stop wasting tax money. Stop decrying playgrounds, watch your kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment